Sunday, September 13, 2015

William Stewart Laney

In October of last year, we found out we were expecting our second child.  He or she was to be born in June of 2015.  Scott and I were thrilled that we were going to be parents to another baby.  The grandparents were happy that a third grandchild was now on the way.  Aunt Allison was overjoyed that not only would she be getting a brand new niece or nephew, but also that Caroline would be getting a cousin so close in age.  Yes, we were all beaming with excitement.  However, we never lost sight of the fact that the most important part of this new beginning was that Anna Scott was going to be a BIG SISTER!!!  :)


We kept the news a secret until Christmas time.  We told friends and family the news by including an announcement with our Christmas card last year.  The front of the card (above) announced that Anna Scott was going to become a big sister in June 2015.  The back of the card read as follows:


Being a radiology resident has its perks, and one of those is the chance to have an ultrasound just about whenever you want.  :)  So, on Christmas Eve, Scott and I took Anna Scott to see baby brother for the first time, via ultrasound. 




I was only 14 weeks along, but we were lucky that our baby cooperated enough to reveal its gender.  So, that evening (Christmas Eve), we went to dinner at Cheesecake Factory.  After our meal, we gave a piece of paper on which the ultrasound tech had written the gender to our waiter.  He promised to bring a dessert that would reveal the gender.  We waited with much anticipation.  

We decided to let Anna Scott reveal the gender to us.  We told her to say BOY if she saw blue on the dessert and GIRL if she saw pink.  Scott and I closed our eyes when we saw that the waiter was coming.  He sat the dessert on the table, and Anna Scott said, "A BOY!!!"


I couldn't believe my eyes.  I was overwhelmed with emotions.  Of course, first and foremost, HAPPINESS!!!  But also the thought of how things would be so different than we have known with Anna Scott.  We were about to enter a whole new world; a world of snips, snails and puppy dog tails!  I was going to have a baby boy.  Wow....

We could hardly wait to reveal the news to our families, and luckily, we didn't have to wait long.  The next day (Christmas Day), our families opened a gift.  They thought it was just another gift.  Little did they know what they were about to see.....  



Well, it turns out, good things come in little packages.  :)

Allison was expecting a baby girl and I was expecting a baby boy.
It truly was a very Merry Christmas!


When Christmas was over, we continued to celebrate with the big sister.  She was so excited about having a baby brother and learning all about being Mommy's big helper.




As the time drew closer for baby boy to arrive, sweet friends and family sprinkled us with love and gifts.  A special thank you to my sister and friends who threw a special shower.




My closest childhood friend, Katie, hosted the shower and did a beautiful job.  



Scott and I were blessed to have the Corporate Lending group at Cadence Bank shower us as well.   


Anna Scott went with me to a couple of my appointments.  She was always sure to bring her baby along.  This baby is special because it is the Madame Alexander "my baby brother" doll we gave her for her fourth birthday. 


After nine LONG months of waiting, wondering, vomiting, praying, swelling, and anticipating...
the time had finally come.  Our sweet baby boy was ready to make his arrival.  Scott snapped one last photo of Will and me before we left for the hospital.   I could hardly wait to see his little face for the very first time.  



Introducing our son...

William Stewart Laney


William Stewart Laney was born on Friday, June 12th at 8:41 am.  He weighed 6 pounds, 3 ounces and was 19 inches long.  


There is really nothing like holding your child for the very first time.  Something about it being the second child (having seen, through Anna Scott, what he will come to mean to me) made the experience even more emotional.


One of the most precious moments of my life so far was when Anna Scott met her baby brother.  She had waited so long to see him, and finally, the moment was here.  Yes, she brought Will the little brown bear that I took to my sister Allison when she was born; the one she had taken to Caroline just months before.  



I love how Anna Scott and Will are both looking at me in the next picture.  
I thank God every day for my precious blessings!  


Here are lots of pictures from our hospital stay...

My parents meet Will



Scott's parents meet Will


My Dad holding Will for the first time.  His first little boy.  


Love this picture of Will and my beautiful mom.  


Aunt Allison meets Will.  Will came a couple of weeks early, so his birth date was not planned.  Of course, Allison was still there when he arrived.  She may live four hours away, but she doesn't miss a thing.  


Scott's parents admiring baby Will.


We love our GG.  I don't know of anyone who loves their kids, grandkids and great grands like she does.  







As if one baby doll wasn't enough, Anna Scott now has two.  One girl.  One boy.  What more could a 4 year old little girl ask for?


Caroline and Will.  Sweet cousins who will grow up together and hopefully, become the best of friends.  


I enjoyed my time in the hospital with Will.  That was such a precious time with both of my babies.  I tried to savor each and every moment, because once those moments are gone, they never return.  So, although the thought of my house and my bed were calling my name, my heart stayed right there with Will.  Right there in our cozy little hospital room.  




Will's first bath the afternoon of his birthday.  He loved it.  Didn't cry one bit. 






Clean, cozy, and ready to snuggle...



I loved that big sister brought her toys to keep her occupied.  The camera, of course, was a must.  I don't know what we would have done without all of these pretty pictures.  :)


Will wasn't even a day old and he was already surrounded by princesses. 



We had some sweet visitors on Will's birthday!  This is a special group of friends (missing Margaret).


More hospital pictures...









Mom and Dad now have three grandchildren!  Anna Scott Laney (4 years old), Caroline Catherine Cease (3 months old), and William Stewart Laney (2 days old).


My dad does his own birth "announcement" for each grandchild.  It is a special keepsake.  On one side, he lists famous birthdays which fall on their birthdays.  On the other side, he lists famous past events falling on their birthdays.  Here is Will's announcement.


While we are on the subject of grandparents, Scott's mother painted this canvas for Will's nursery.  It looks beautiful over his crib.  She is such a talented artist.  

Two days were gone in the blink of an eye, and it was time to go home.  



We were excited about going home as a family of four!










"Hey Papa!  We're home!"



Happy Homecoming, precious Will.



Life was instantly different with two babies around.  Allison and Caroline stayed for a few days after Will was born, and boy was that fun!


Anna Scott kept saying, "What are we going to do with these babies?!?!"  Ha!



We loved being home and Will did too. 



Will got to meet even more special people once we were home.  Uncle Alan, in the midst of his busy work schedule, made the drive from Mississippi to see Will for the first time.  So sweet of him.  


Aunt Sandra and Granny loved meeting Will.  



Five days old




One week old


On our way to his doctor's visit at one week old.  


Anna Scott did such a wonderful job with becoming a big sister.  She made it look so easy.  Such a natural.  Really, we couldn't have asked for a better response from her.

She loved being my helper and learning how to care for her sweet baby brother.  





Ten days old


Two weeks old




Will's first stroll (2 weeks old) 



Will's newborn pictures were taken at 2 weeks old. 
taylorcampbellphotography 







Will's first sink bath (2 weeks old)

Do you know that feeling you get just before the shower water hits you?  Haha...


This baby loves bath time!



Will's first Fourth of July.  Three weeks old.


One month old.  At one month, he was doing what most babies do:  cooing a little, becoming more aware of his surroundings, but most of all, eating, pooping, and sleeping.  


At his one month appointment, he weighed 8 pounds, 5 ounces.  He had come a long way from just 6 pounds, 3 ounces at birth!




Sleeping soundly after those mean 'ole shots.


Six weeks old






Will smiled a real smile for the first time at 6 weeks, 2 days old.



Two months old


At two months old, Will was smiling more and more.  He smiled most when I would say "Mama."  :)  He also started to love his play mat and better track objects (his rattles and other toys) with his eyes.  No laughs yet as of two months.  Just the sweetest little smiles you ever did see and the sweetest little sounds you ever did hear.   


At two months, Will weighed 11 pounds, 11 ounces.  





Will, before you were born, your daddy and I didn't know how we would love another.  All we knew was how much we loved your sister and that if we loved you just as much, our hearts might explode.  We quickly figured out that our hearts could hold more love than we had ever imagined.  In fact, the love is overflowing, and we hope you (and your sister) feel it every single day.  I'll tell you, just like I tell your sister every single day, "I am so glad God gave me you and I love you BIG."  I hope that one day, you will look back at me, like she does, and say, "I love you bigger."

I can't help but look at my kids and wonder, "What are your little eyes going to see in your lifetime, what are your little ears going to hear, what are your little hands going to do, and where are your little feet going to take you?"  So, I'll close with this.  Anna Scott loves to sing to Will, and this is one of her favorite songs.  The words are simple, but they have special meaning.

Oh be careful little eyes what you see.
Oh be careful little eyes what you see.
For the Father up above is looking down with love.
Oh be careful little eyes what you see.

Oh be careful little ears what you hear.
Oh be careful little ears what you hear.
For the Father up above is looking down with love.
Oh be careful little ears what you hear.

Oh be careful little hands what you do.
Oh be careful little hands what you do.
For the Father up above is looking down with love.
Oh be careful little hands what you do.

Oh be careful little feet where you go.
Oh be careful little feet where you go.
For the Father up above is looking down with love.
Oh be careful little feet where you go.


Thank you Lord for blessing me with two of Your children.  I promise to take good care of them and do all that I can to lead them to You.  
























No comments:

Post a Comment