Saturday, November 12, 2011

Savannah

Last weekend, we headed to Savannah, Georgia with our friends Josh and Nicole for the Rock 'n' Roll half marathon.  


We arrived in Savannah on Friday afternoon, just in time to grab our confirmation and goodies at the expo and make our dinner reservations at Leoci's, an Italian restaurant located in the historic district.  I loved that the menu had "Rock 'n' Roll Menu 2011" in the top corner, so I brought one back home to frame.


Once we had treated our bodies to loads of pasta, we walked down Savannah's Riverwalk to catch the "Trolley of Doom" for a ghost tour of the city.





After all of the stories had been told, the trolley tour ended, and it was time to get some rest.  On saturday morning, the alarm clock sounded at 5:15 am (4:15 Central time), the sun was far from shining, and we had to be at the start line to run 13.1 miles in less than 2 hours.  Talk about a rude awakening!  :)  I just wanted to crawl back in bed and be lazy, but that was not a choice!  Once I mustered the strength to walk to the bathroom, brush my teeth, and splash some water on my face, I felt as though I would make it.  :)  Luckily, our hotel was in a great location - we only had to walk about 30 feet to the start line - so we stayed warm inside until time for the race to begin. 


The race was awesome!  If you believe in fun runs, well this was actually fun!  There were bands at every mile to keep the adrenalin pumping, plenty of drink stations along the way, and fans everywhere to cheer us on.  



I just concentrated on keeping my time below 9 minutes a mile.  And, as I did the math from mile to mile, I realized I was going to have a better time than I thought...  if I could just keep it up.  One verse that helped me along the way is, "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perserverance the race marked out for us." 


I ran the race in 1 hour 52 minutes (8:36 per mile) - well under my goal of 2 hours!  I finished 1,532 out of 19,000 overall. I was so proud of myself and sooooo sore.  My heart was happy but my leg muscles were very, very angry.  :) 


We all finished the race with great times!

 


Our treat for running the marathon?  Lunch at Paula Deen's Lady and Sons.  We stuffed our faces with all-you-could-eat fried chicken, cornbread, veggies and dessert - and felt not a single wave of guilt.  We deserved every bit of butter we tasted!  :)  



The remainder of our time in Savannah was spent resting in our hotel room, shopping/snacking along Riverwalk and watching the big game - Bama vs. LSU.  Scott and I hated to have to sell our tickets to this game, but we had already planned the trip to Savannah.  Though we weren't happy with the outcome, we enjoyed watching the game!  Here are some of the sights of Savannah...







On Sunday, we traveled back to Birmingham, Alabama! We were so excited to be greeted by this sweet smile when we got home.  


In other news here at My Fair Laney, Anna Scott turned 6 months old on Thursday.  Lots more about celebrating her half-birthday and stats from her 6 month check-up coming soon!  Here is a sneak preview of these posts...




Don't go away.  We'll be right back!


1 comment: