Sunday, July 14, 2013

Happenings

As much as I blog, you would think I could stay caught up, but I have somehow managed to let a few "happenings" slip through the cracks.  So, without further ado, here are the highlights.  I will number them so that you do not get lost in the disorganized madness.  :)

1.  In April, my parents ran the Rock-n-Roll Music City Half Marathon.  My Dad has run two full marathons, but it was my Mom's first half.  We weren't able to attend the race, but we cheered our little hearts out from Birmingham.  

They did such a great job.  So proud of them!


2.  Mother's Day was special, as usual.  I have, without a doubt, the best mom in the world.  She is a wonderful woman and the most selfless person I know.  We are as close as a mother and daughter can be, and our relationship is one of the most precious things in my life.  All of my life, I have felt so loved, so happy, so blessed, and I owe so much of that to her.


My mother-in-law is amazing.  She is one of the most talented people I know and helps me in so many ways.  Although I am thankful for all she does for me, I am most thankful for her friendship.  I don't know what I would do without her. 


Here are some of the reasons my first two Mother's Days have been so special:  my mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, and daughter.  What a blessing! 

Just a quick pic of Mom opening one of her Mother's Day gifts (and a pink balloon left over from Anna Scott's 2nd birthday the day before).   :)


Anna Scott gave me the best mother's day gift - a piece of her artwork and the sweetest poem.  I framed it in her playroom.  

My dad surprised me with a special gift for Mother's Day.  He has written a series of books, and this is his latest.  The best part was opening the book to find that it was dedicated to his grandchildren.


3.  Scott spoke at the Baccalaureate service for the Arab High School Class of 2013.  I was so proud of him, not only for being chosen to do this but for the awesome speech he made that night.  It is amazing to think that the students in the class of 2013 were 4 and 5 years old when Scott graduated from high school.  My how time flies!  So thankful he was given the opportunity to speak to the Seniors and hopefully have a positive impact on them as they begin a new chapter in their lives.




4.  Scott and I attended a couple of events earlier this summer.  The first was Fiesta Ball.  Scott is a member of the young supporters board for the American Cancer Society.  This event is held each year as a fundraiser for the ACS.  Top Left:  Notice that Scott is featured on the poster - a picture during one of his visits to UAB cancer center.  Bottom Left:  The "walking nachos" were my favorite!  So yummy!  Bottom Right:  The items Scott and I donated to the silent auction.  Over $50,000 was raised for cancer research that night.  Awesome.

A couple of weeks later, we attended the Hope Gala.  This is an event to raise funds for Juvenile Diabetes research.  It was a fun night with a great purpose. 


5.  On June 10th, Scott and I celebrated our 7th wedding anniversary.  7 years!!!  Wow!!  Apparently, it called for some beautiful roses...


6.  Next was Father's Day.  I have a wonderful Dad.  He is such a good man and Christian example for our family.  I have always wanted to follow in his footsteps.  I love the picture below of my dad and me at his medical school graduation in 1984 and then us again at my medical school graduation in 2012.  



My husband is an amazing daddy and Anna Scott absolutely adores him.  It was love at first touch between these two.

 Father's Day 2013


Anna Scott painted for Daddy too.  When she got home from school that day, she went up to Scott and said, "I made this for you. (pause)  Mrs. Laura made it.  That's my hand."  :)


I thought it deserved a place on the playroom wall next to my Mother's Day masterpiece.


Scott took his dad to an Atlanta Braves game for Father's Day.  They enjoyed some of the best seats in the house and the perfect game day experience.  Since Scott was a young boy, he and his dad have traveled everywhere to watch baseball, so this was a special day for the two of them.  Felt like old times.  Scott has a wonderful Father.  Anna Scott's Papa.  He is a great man (one of the nicest people I have ever met).  I am so glad they were able to enjoy this time together.




7.  My dad's parents celebrated their 65th wedding anniversary on July 5th.  These are two of the best people I know and they have set a near perfect example of what marriage is supposed to be.  My dad's siblings and their families met in Pulaski, Tennessee (where they all grew up) to surprise Granmom and Grandad with an anniversary celebration.  They were shocked to see all of us there and it was a joy to share in this special time with them.  

Scott, we only have 58 years to go!  :)
  

8.  As most of you who are reading this probably already know, my dad recently resigned as music minister of Arab First Baptist Church.  He is going to devote more time to medical missions, specifically building a medical clinic for the people in Guatemala (to make a long story short).  The pictures below are from his last Sunday.  My family was blessed beyond measure by the outpouring of love and appreciation we experienced that day.  What a blessing this church has been and will continue to be to all of us.  
I love the picture below of Dad and Grandad sitting and talking after Dad's last service, bibles in hand.  Precious moment and one worth capturing. 
I would say more, but I think the pages of this recent newsletter say it all.  I know it is a lot to read, but if you have the time and are interested, I want to share (mostly so that I will always have it to look back on).


Page 2


Page 3


Page 4



Page 5



Page 6



I think I will end there.  Lots more Summer fun coming your way!






No comments:

Post a Comment