Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Fourth of July


I would like to dedicate this post to my grandfather... Papa.  He was born on the Fourth of July and was always so honored to share a birthday with America.  He passed away 6 years ago after a battle with cancer.  I loved him so much and miss him everyday.  Play the music while viewing (if you wish)...


We had an awesome 4th of July!  We celebrated the holiday with my mom, dad, sister and her fiance Alan's family at his parents' house on Lake Martin.  The day started off with the parade of boats (a tradition each year at Lake Martin).  The boats were all so festive, draped in their red, white and blue.  Some of the participants even threw out candy, fruit and other items - a true parade it was!





Next, the girls stayed busy in the kitchen...


while the boys hung out by the boats.


We enjoyed a delicious sandwich lunch with all of the fixings!  Cake, brownies, prune pies, divinity and banana bread were for dessert.





Once our tummies were happy and settled, we enjoyed an afternoon out on the water.










Even the dogs joined in on the fun! 



Molly, Sam and Sadie chose to sunbathe while the others swam.


After a few hours in the hot sun, late afternoon naps and relaxation were in order.



Dinner consisted of grilled hamburgers, sweet potato fries, corn on the cob and for dessert - cake and homemade ice cream!  Seconds, please?   :) 




The day's grand finale:  the firework show on Lake Martin!





We took the boat out to view the fireworks - don't you just love the glowing decorations?!  I wish there would have been an evening parade of boats...  we were all fashionably sporting our red, white and blue!  :)  We admired the fireworks along with all of the others out on the lake and alongside the Shaw's, who anchored their boat next to ours and provided us with beautiful patriotic music.




The firework show was the best I had ever seen.  Papa loved the fireworks!  They were his favorite part of his birthday.  Now, when I see the fireworks each year, I celebrate America's birthday as well as Papa's life and what he meant to our family.  Happy Birthday Papa!  I love you!


And, I'm proud to be an American


where at least I know I'm free.


And, I won't forget the men who died


who gave that right to me.


And, I gladly stand up next to you


and defend her still today.


'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land.


GOD BLESS THE USA!!!








No comments:

Post a Comment